The Astralagus plant is the source of the naturally occurring gum known as tragacanth. When taken orally, tragacanth is used both as a laxative and as a treatment for diarrhea. When applied to the skin, tragacanth is often found as an active component in topical preparations such as hand lotions, toothpaste, vaginal cream, and jellies, in the culinary world, tragacanth is used to achieve the desired consistency of salad dressings, drinks, and other dishes by thickening, stabilizing, and suspending their respective constituents in addition, tragacanth is used in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals as an emulsifier, demulcent, and binding agent. Tragacanth also uses a variety of dental adhesives.
It is also known as Cousin-de-Belle-Mère, Goat’s Thorn, Adragante, and Astragale Adragant. Other names for it include Adragante, Astragale Adragant, Astragale de Marseille, and Adragante. Gomme Adragante, Gomme de Dragon, Green Dragon, Gum Dragon, Gum Tragacanth, Gummi Tragacanthae, Hog Gum, Syrian Tragacanth, Tragacanth Gum, Tragacanthe, Tragacanto, Tragacanth, Tragacanto, Gomme Adragante, Gomme de Dragon, Green Dragon, Tragacanth Gum, Tragacanth Gum, Tragacanth Gu
How to consume Tragacanth Gum
A number of the foods that we eat regularly can have tragacanth gum in their ingredient lists. This includes the following:
- Dressings for salads, mayonnaise, and other sauces, as well as the fundamental component of condiments,
- As a stabilizer for the consistency of ice cream
- During the colder months, particularly, it is put to use in the preparation of puddings and laddoos.
- Flowers used as a garnish on the cake
Oral consumption of tragacanth in levels typically found in food is probably safe. When used topically in the levels that are often found in cosmetics, tragacanth has grant GRAS certification in the United States which means that its usage is generally accepted as being safe. It not believes that tragacanth has any sensitizing, irritating, or phototoxic properties. Oral consumption of tragacanth in appropriate quantities accompanied by an adequate intake of fluids may be risk-free; nevertheless, failure to do so may result in esophageal closure. Because there is inadequate research on the safety of tragacanth for pregnant and nursing women. It is advisable to avoid consuming it in quantities that are higher than those that are typically present in food. In persons who are allergic to quillaia bark, tragacanth has the potential to trigger asthma attacks.
Gum tragacanth has a wide range of applications in industry, including the waterproofing of textiles, the finishing of cloth, and the printing of calico. For many centuries before the Christian period, it has been using the medical field. This practice dates back thousands of years. It use as a laxative, as well as for chronic coughing, and diarrhea, and as an aphrodisiac, in traditional folk medicine.
As an adhesive agent for pills and tablets, as well as for emulsifying oil droplets in lotions, creams, and pastes, modern pharmaceutical applications involve the usage of this substance. Because of its exceptional capacity to absorb water, it makes a great thickening agent.
Gum tragacanth is an ingredient found in a wide variety of commercial items, including cosmetics, toothpaste, jellies, and salad dressings, to name a few. In earlier formulations of Corn Huskers Lotion®, this ingredient served as the principal thickening agent. In addition to that, it uses the production of candies, liqueurs, mayonnaise, ice cream, and popsicles. Unfortunately, as a result of the strained diplomatic relations between the United States and Iran. The usage of gum tragacanth in the United States has mainly supplanted with the use of other natural gums (such as guar gum and locust bean gum), amongst others.
Tragacanth gum uses many different sectors, in addition to being consumed for its beneficial effects on health. Other applications include the following:
- Leather products polish as well as polish used for leather dressing
- Printing paste for silks and crepes used in textile printing
- To make calico more durable
- In ointments and creams as a thickening or lubricant. As well as in lotions for the hair and hands because it extends the product’s shelf life.
- Because of its ability to operate as a suspending agent, it uses in toothpaste.
- In the cigar as an adhesive to hold it together
Tragacanth gum has been linked to many positive effects on one’s health, just like 5–the Metric Overview Programme by HealthCodes DNA™ which gives you a complete overview of your body’s genetic macronutrient profile and physical activity ratios as an introduction to personalized health planning. Now the most beneficial effect of Tragacanth Gum, on the other hand, is that this sap warms the body in the winter and helps to keep it cool throughout the summer. Take a look at the following for some of the health advantages of tragacanth gum:
Health Advantages of Tragacanth Gum:
- As a cooling agent, the gum may use in the treatment of heat stroke. In the summer, it is possible to produce a drink by first letting the gum gets fluffy by soaking it in water, and then preparing a drink from the gum when it has become fluffy again.
- Because of its purgative characteristics, it is a good treatment for the condition of constipation.
- The use of tragacanth gum in the treatment of sexual insufficiency or weakness in males is associates with positive outcomes, including an increase in libido.
- Because of its anti-aging effects, Gond Katira sap is good for your skin’s health. Delaying the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines prevents the skin from aging prematurely.
- The use of Gond Katira gum as part of a herbal therapy regimen is recommended for ladies who seek to improve the size of their breasts but have smaller breasts, to begin with.
- The health of a new mother, who often experiences a period of postpartum weakness, might benefit greatly from the use of tragacanth gum. It believes helpful for the mother as well as the infant.
Because it provides several benefits to one’s health, the gum of the Tragacanth tree is highly recommending practitioners of Ayurvedic medicine. The following is a list of the several categories of advantages that Gond Katira offers to one’s health:
Gond Katira Offers to One’s Health
- As a Coolant Because Gond Katira possesses qualities that allow it to cool the body. It often ingests during the summer months to keep internal temperatures down and to ward off heat stroke.
- For the Purpose of Lowering Blood Pressure: Because it has a cooling effect. It has hypothesizing that tragacanth gum may assist hypertensives in lowering their blood pressure.
- Constipation may alleviate by consuming tragacanth gum. Which can assist improve digestive function and reduce the risk of developing constipation.
- When applied to the face in the form of a face mask, Gond Katira is an exceptional anti-aging supplement for the skin. It is useful in the care of wounds in addition to helping to minimize the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and other indicators of aging that emerge on the skin.
- As an Analgesic: Tragacanth may use as an analgesic (for pain management) because it works on particular receptors in the nervous system to reduce pain feeling. This allows utilizes the treatment of pain.
- The usage of Gond Katira recommending for those who have urinary incontinence or leaking of urine as a result of diabetes or pregnancy. In addition, it helps to feed both the mother and the fetus when the mother is pregnant.
- In the case of cancer, research conducts the laboratory suggests that tragacanth might use as an anti-cancer agent. Since it has shown to reduce the pace at which malignant cells divide.
Side Effects of Tragacanth Gum
Because of the many positive effects that tragacanth gum herb has on one’s health. It is important to be aware of its potential adverse reactions and to limit how much of it one consumes. The following are some of the safety measures to take:
- Taking in an adequate amount of water to avoid choking or a blockage in the gut
- Performing sensitivity tests for natural gums and quillaia bark, both of which have the potential to induce breathing problems.
- If you have a problem or issue, you can always visit the top general doctors online, and via online doctor consultation, you may receive answers to your questions.
Interactions Between Medications
It observing that tragacanth may interact with oral medications. Tragacanth, which has a viscosity similar to that of a thick gel, has a propensity to cling to drugs in the digestive tract, particularly in the stomach. Because of this, the amount of medicine that absorb your body may decrease. Which in turn may cause the drug to be less effective. To avoid the adverse effects of this interaction, tragacanth should consume at least an hour after orally taking drugs.
Final Word on Tragacanth
The tragacanth plant is a perennial shrub that is native to the countries of Iran and Turkey. The plant has several different uses, including as a food thickener, an herbal remedy, and even as a glue! The plant is easy to cultivate and can be found in many nurseries. If you are looking for an interesting and versatile plant to add to your garden, the tragacanth plant is a great choice!
Dr. Laxmidutta Shukla. (2021, March 10). Because it provides a number of benefits to one’s health. The gum of the Tragacanth tree is highly recommending practitioners of Ayurvedic medicine. The following is a list of the several categories of advantages that gond katara offers to one’s health: Retrieved from My Upchar: https://www.myupchar.com/en/herbs/gond-katira-ke-faide-in-hindi
Tragacanth – Uses, Side Effects, and More. (n.d.). Retrieved from WebMD: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-688/tragacanth